What is PIRS content

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by seanpr92, Mar 13, 2011.

1. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Pirs content will work on any console without needing to obtain a licence from Xbox Live to use it (from what i gather anyway), which is why you can pirate DLC from Boarderlands / Fallout 3 by ripping it from the expansion discs and injecting it in to your hard drive.

Live content requires a licence to be obtained from Xbox Live.

Thats how i understand it anyway, i'm sure someone must be able to explain it better however.

3. seanpr92

seanpr92 Godlike

so basically the publshers put the dlc as unsigned on disc so that way its not tied to a profile

4. Rick

Rick Moderator

i did this with the forza 2 bonus disk.all dlc for free and i put it on 2 consoles no problem

5. Harcroft

Harcroft Addict

Pir's are live containers. Pretty much everything you get for 360 hard drives comes in pir format. Title updates, DLC packages, XBLA games, indie games, even videos. The only exception I can think of is GoD packages, but they're stored in a similar format, only in chunks. This is why wxpirs opens all of these different package types.

Pre-signed/Disk-signed/Open-signature DLC however you call it is exactly the same as normal DLC it just has a different type of signature. It's signed to work on any console regardless of profile or live status etc. I'm pretty sure they're region free too, I haven't seen region locked "open" DLC myself but it could exist I guess. Generally DLC or arcade games like this are only set to work on hard drives or off formatted usb devices. A few exceptions do exist like Worms Open Warfare that will only work a 256mb 360 memory card, anywhere else and it appears as a demo.

A few pieces of DLC NOT released on disk are signed like this too, for example the Sgt. Johnson unlock for Halo 3 ODST. I'm fairly certain Microsoft created this signature type to combat DLC piracy. I know that sounds wrong, but consider this. CDX is a demo/video/dlc etc disk menu for xbox1. It included a tool to sign xbox live DLC to the local console. This tool was exploited by a few enterprising users to sign all manner of xbox1 dlc. With this open signature type DLC that you see on special edition disks, goty disks, premium edition disks etc. you can only copy the DLC provided to you this way. Theres no tool to sign the content on the user end, no algorithm released publicly to sign DLC, and no user end control over what can and can't be signed.

Some examples of open DLC are:
    Mass Effect Bring Down the Sky (Goty Disk)
    Fallout 3 all DLC (goty disk, and 2 pack DLC disks)
    Halo 3 ODST Sgt. Johnson (preorder bonus)
    Oblivion Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine (Goty disk)
    Borderlands Mad Moxies and Zombie Island (Retail DLC disk)
    Forza 3 all DLC (bonus disk)

I'm sure theres more, I just can't think of them offhand.
    Again pirs are just live containers, all types of media gets stored in them. DLC with an open signature is stored in a pir, but it's the same as any other DLC just with a different signature.

BigRod989 and InsaneNutter like this.
  6. Mr.Needlemouse

Mr.Needlemouse Resident

splosion man dlc from comic jumper , Alan Wake Developer Commentary dlc and themes from rareware and twisted pixel games are pirs too!
    but gamerpics unlocked from games are CON data(thats funny I dont know why these are CON). gamer pics and themes from collectors disc (or OXM discs) are PIRS
    remember: data from hdd,memory unts,from game discs and unlock bonus from games are PIRS data( except some gamerpics)
    Signature Type Information "CON " Signed by a console. Found on many files such as cache files, profiles, saved games. PIRS Signed by Microsoft. Found on files delivered by Microsoft through non-Xbox Live means such as system updates. LIVE Signed by Microsoft. Found on files delivered over Xbox Live such as items from the Marketplace like themes.

These files are LIVE data but DRM free(!)
    Halo 3 ODST Sgt. Johnson
    1 vs 100 theme
    dragon age blood dragon theme
    holiday 2008 theme
    kerrang xtival theme
    xtival 2009 theme
    xtival winter 2009 theme
    perfect dark e3 theme
    aegis wing
    dash of destruction
    destination arcade
    yaris
    harms way (maybe same as crash course?)
    doritos crash course (shown as demo,but this game is free and there is no demo of this game)
    ESPN app
    (possible even more data we dont know)

all LIVE data that looks so are DRM free:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

PIRS data with locks dont work on other profils but with x360 content lock you can remove the locks( some content,not all).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Serious Sam 1 and 2 are also pirs content, you can extract the arcade games from the game disc and play them like any other arcade game when injected in to the hard drive.

The same with Alien Breed Trilogy, you can also extract the 3 games from the disc and play them like any other arcade game.

8. she7ata

she7ata New Member

Guys, I know that wxPris and other tools extract Xbox Files, but what if i made some changes to these files and I want to compile it back to one file, just to undo the Pirs extraction again, it there is any tool to do that ?