Wii U error 103--1601

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by Pavey, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Pavey

Pavey Member

Hi all

Wonder if someone has any ideas on how to rectify this? I modded my Wii U ages ago using the Brain Training method and it then had a Haxchi file on it, but didn't cold boot to it (went straight to the Wii U menu).

Was reading up on good games to get before the eshop closed for good, and so purchased a GBA game I was after. Went to go to the shop today and get the 103-1601 error.

So far I have:

1. rebooted the Wii and the router.
    2. uninstalled Haxchi in the hope this was blocking my internet connection.
    3. tried to reformat the Wii U but this needs an internet connection to do this.
    4. tried to install Tiramisu but again this needs an internet connection to do this.

So am now a bit stuck. Has anyone got any ideas in how to get me back online?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Did you set a custom DNS server to block updates when you installed Haxchi? if you did and this DNS sever is no longer online then you Wii U will appear to have no internet connection.

Edit your network connection and set DNS to auto and that should hopefully resole the issue if so.

If not you could try deleting your wireless connection and adding that again to hopefully rule out any network setting problems.

3. Pavey

Pavey Member

Thanks for replying. I'm honestly not sure if i set a DNS server that blocks updates as it was so long ago, but have since tried deleting all connections, changing the dns etc but still no joy.

Is there a recommended DNS though that maybe i haven't tried?

4. InsaneNutter

Before you do anything else if you use the web browser on the Wii you can you visit any websites? if so then I suspect the Eshop is probably down at the moment.

DNS wise generally i'd recommend just letting the Wii U get its DNS settings from your router.

However you could try 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 - that's Cloudflare's DNS

Another public DNS is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - that's Google's DNS

Both are safe, its perceived Cloudflare collects less data about your DNS queries than Google if you care about that.

5. Pavey

Pavey Member

I had to go out, came back and bizarrely it now has connected and has downloaded the games i purchased.Temporary glitch, if such things can happen?

I did delete the Haxchi icon from the Wii U menu, but still have my purchased game rips on there, and they don't need the discs in in order to be played. Does that sound correct; should it happen?

6. InsaneNutter

Glad you got the games downloaded, if the Wii U game had a disc release you can install it with homebrew and then play without the disc or loading any homebrew / CFW, so that sounds correct. I've installed the the games I own on the Wii U and don't require the disc to play them now.

7. Pavey

Pavey Member

I’m thinking though do i still have CFW if the Haxchi icon is deleted?

To get it back do i go to the browser and type in wiiuexploit again (or whatever the address is)? Also if i want to rip another disc guess i’ll need it back too.

8. InsaneNutter

You never really had CFW to start with, you just had an easy way to launch homebrew on the stock firmware. You can use the web browser exploit to launch the homebrew launcher and install Haxchi again, or load any other homebrew.

Have a look at setting up Tiramisu if you want a proper CFW like experience on the Wii U in 2023.

Pavey likes this.