WoodDumper and FTP

Discussion in 'Console Help Center' started by SuperDarke, Dec 21, 2023.

1. SuperDarke

SuperDarke New Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to use WoodDumper to dump some of my NDS ROMs (Pokemon Diamond, White &c). I am using an amazon-flavored R4 flashcard (with a red pcb). I am following the guide here. I can get all the way to activating the FTP transfer. After opening up an open network and connecting both my laptop and my DS Lite, using WoodDumper I can connect to the network and an IP address appears on the DS screen. Then, I plug the IP address into my FTP manager on my laptop and... nothing happens. I am unable to connect; it idles out. Using CLI utilities on my laptop, I can see that the IP address is active, but no ports on the address are open and therefore cannot use FTP. I have tried running the r85, r89, and r72 versions of WoodDumper. Would anyone have any advice around this?

Thank you for reading :)

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

What is the IP address on the DS and Laptop? on the average home network they need to be on the same network subnet with different ip addresses to communicate e.g 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11

3. SuperDarke

SuperDarke New Member

Thank you for the reply, InsaneNutter. The DS Lite's IP was 192.168.1.154; the computer indeed was on the same subnet at *.*.*.60.

4. InsaneNutter

Its possible the WiFi network you are connect to is isolating clients (so they can't speak to each other)? that would explain why you can't see any ports are open when scanning.

Also what FTP client are you using? in the tutorial I used a web browser, however Chromium based browsers sadly removed FTP support at some point.

5. SuperDarke

SuperDarke New Member

Nutter, in regards to your question, that's very likely about the home network. I tried to find another unsecured network but I was unsuccessful. I was using Filezilla, gFTP (I think-- some GTK-FTP client) and the CLI FTP command.
    So, long story short, after searching around for unsecured networks, it proved difficult to find one that didn't also have a login page (think hotel wifi). I ended up putting CFW on my 3DS and using Godmode9 to dump the files directly.

6. InsaneNutter

My next suggestion was going to be using a 3DS if you had one, so much more convenient without worrying about network configurations.

Glad you got the cart dumped one way or another.