Copy and Extract content from an Xbox One USB Formatted Drive on a Windows PC

Discussion in 'Xbox One Guides' started by InsaneNutter, May 27, 2014.

1. amoney

amoney New Member

I WANT TO THAANK YOU 4 YOUR REPLY AND NOTE I DID SEE YOU GAVE THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION ON PAGE 4 OR 5 BUT I STILL AM HAVING A PROBLEM & IF U CAN CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG HERE THANK YOU. BUT I DO HAVE 2 LEGIT QUESTIONS FIRST OK SO IF I CAN PLAY MY GAME FINE OFFLINE OK MEANING ITS READING THE DATA OFF THE XBOX ONE NOT THE CLOUD ECT... I'M WONDERING WHY I CANT FIND THE NEEDED FILES ON MY "INTERNAL" STORAGE TO BACK UP MY GAME SAVE AMD STUFF I CREATED IN GAME.. IS IT POSSIBLY IN (THE GAMES RESERVE SPACE) I WONDER IS THAT WHAT MIGHT HOLD A COMPRESSED ZIPPED & LOCKED VERSION OF ALL THE SAVED DATA'S 4 ALL PROFILES ON MY XBOX ONE 4 THAT GAME OR AM I OFF ? I DON'T KNOW. BUT THE RESERVE SPACE IS ABOUT ALL I CAN COME CLOSE TO FINDING 4 THAT GAME ON THE "INTERNAL DRIVE. ".... TO REPHRASE IS EVERYTHING I NEED IN THE RESERVE SPACE FOR EACH GAME? LIKE ALL ACCOUNTS & DATA IN THAT ONE RESERVE SPACE FOR EACH GAME I THINK IT IS.... THINK IT'S A FILE THAT AS OF NOW ONLY THE XBOX IS ABLE 2 READ & EACH GAMES RESERVE SPACE EVERY ONE EMULATES DIFFERENT I THINK THAT'S WAY PEOPLE CANT DO AS MUCH ON THE ONE AS LAST GEN. AS FAR AS FREEDOM OVER YOUR GAME DATA (RESERVE SPACE)IF SO I THINK WE NEED A PROGRAMMER TO MAKE A TOOL 2 EXTRACT BLOCKS FROM IT THE RESERVE SPACE AS WELL LOL I THINK BUT EVIN IF U CRACK ONE GAME U'D STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITHOUT THE PROPER TOOL FOR EACH GAME TO EXTRACT THE DATA IF THAT'S THE CASE???? U CAN HEX THAT FILE ALL DAY BUT WITHOUT A TOOL YOU'D HAVE 2 B HOUDINI TO EXTRACT PROFILES THAT WY THO I'D GUESS LOL . BUT MY 1ST REAL QUESTION IS IS THIS THEORY RATIONAL LOL OR AM I OFF CAN U HELP WITH THAT? & 2ND SRY 2 RAMBLE THO BUT WHY DO PEOPLE SAY IT WILL RESULT IN BAN WEN U SWITCH / MOD OR REPLACE DATA THIS CANT BE TOTALLY TRUE CUZ YOUR DATA IS BEING ALTERED EVERY DAY ON YOUR XBOX.YOUR XBOX IS CHANGING YOUR DATA BY THE HOUR SO... WHO IS TO SAY YOU DIDN'T GO OFFLINE & MAKE CHANGES 2 DATA ALL U GATTA DO IS DELETE DATA "OFF CLOUD ONLY" AND GO OFFLINE AND SWITCH SAVES ON PC IN THEORY THEN SYNC DATA TO CLOUD AGAIN AFTER THE SWITCH. XBOX SHOULD HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING IF ITS MODDED OR NOT BECAUSE IN THIS CASE ITS NOT LOL OR EVIN IF IT WAS THEY'D HAVE NO REFERENCE MATERIAL / DATA ON THE CLOUD TO THEN COMPARE IT TO IF YOU DELETED IT FIRST OFF THE CLOUD. AND THEN GO OFFLINE "MOST LIKELY".. NOT SUPPORTING HARDCORE HACKS HERE JUST SIMPLY TRYING TO BACK UP SUM OF THE HUNDREDS OF THINGS IV DONE IN THE GAME WITHOUT LOOSING IT

THIS WAS AND STILL IS MY PROBLEM FIRST I was trying to replace my internal hard drive U KNOW 500 GB TO 1 TB OR SO THINKING THAT MIGHT FIX IT BUT NO ....BUTTTTT ....... YOUR TOOL DOES OPEN UP THE XB1 internal hard drive AS WELL I HAVE EXPLORED EVERY FILE BY ITS SIZE BY CLICKING ON ITS PROPERTIES CANT FIND THE SIZE OF THE DATA FILE I HAVE NO SLOTS LEFT ON MY GAME (IN GAME) NEED TO BACK UP MY GAME BEFORE I START A FRESH NEW SAVE ON THE "SAME ACCOUNT.".... BECAUSE IF I START A NEW SAVE ON MY MAIN ACCOUNT IT WILL IN FACT OVERWRITE MY OLD DATA DELETING EVERYTHING AND I CANT HAVE THAT LOL I HAVE TESTED THIS ON A DIFFERENT PROFILE BUT IT DOES JUST DELETE / OVERWRITE'S THE CURRENT DATA AND MAKES IT FRESH NOW HAVING MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS IS NO PROBLEM BUT I HAVE SO MUCH CONTENT I CREATED ON THE ONE PROFILE BUT I NEED TO START FRESH ON THE SAME ACCOUNT WITHOUT DELETING THE MAIN DATA I HAD STARTED WITH . BUT THANKS AGAIN 4 THE REPLY AND ILL ADD THIS IF U ARE WONDERING IF ITS LEGIT IT IS REAL 100% REAL ENOUGH SAID ABOUT THAT THE TOOL IS LEGIT THO BUT HOPE U CAN HELP ME LOL ALSO SORRY FOR SPELLING I TYPED THIS QUICK

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

I really dont know when it comes to save data on the internal hard drive, as far as i'm aware nothing has been released to back it up.

Maybe you can play the game, save it and then try and find files modified around the date / time you saved the game.

3. amoney

amoney New Member

exactly what i did ok.... so if you look at the settings of file after you exclude by dates, (the day you are trying to back up your save & the day it came out)also look at the date created if you are a big gamer you might remember the date it was released as well so look 4 the two date's in the settings date u r trying 2 move it, and the day you got the game. to narrow it down to find the reserve space 4 that game. i don't think as of now you can use them between systems tho but thank you 4 the tool friend 8)

4. rewen

rewen New Member

I tried using the tool from the OP here but I, too, see GPT Protective Partition. However, when changing the drive back to Xbox mode, it no longer works in the Xbox (can't even format it there).

I also tried this tool: https://github.com/gitFurious/xboxoneexternal without any better results. 99CC doesn't work in the Xbox and 55AA doesn't work on the PC. But since it's an easily editable script I can try other values. Maybe I should try 55CC for Xbox mode? Thoughts?

5. jdlynch10

jdlynch10 New Member

Hello, this may be a long shot and a little late to ask on this thread. I have mistakenly deleted 2 save files for both characters I've used on Fallout 4. I've read that you can plug your external HD into your Windows computer and use a data extracting software program to recover those deleted save files. I've done that, but I don't quite understand what I'm looking at, or know which files are the ones I'd need to recover. Looks like everything is encoded or basically numbers/letters that I cannot read. There are a few XVI files, but around 600+ total files as of right now. Does anyone know how I could know what files are the ones I need to recover, or even if this is the right way to do this?

6. QldAu

QldAu New Member

Great App and Docco.

One Question, The files that come off the (1 contains data, 1 contains references) , is their a know file format to the data file ? (eg: if i rename it .Zip can i extract the contents)
    I am looking at extracting out some videos that the kinetic takes in a 'commerical' app. Through the app you can only export them to the web, which as it has im kids in it im loathed to do.
    Was thinking i could rename or open the backup file and export the 'client data' store

7. Sebato

Sebato New Member

Hi,

I made an account just to post this little tutorial. I was having trouble accessing the external HDD with the program, so I used a combination of different sources around the web (including this thread) to come up with a solution.

My hardware: WD 4TB external drive with 4k sector (NO emulation) - not sure how relevant this information is

Step 1: Like posted here earlier, connect the drive to the PC and open it with a Hex Editor
    Find position 00000001F0, the value there under 0E 0F should be 99CC (which means: readable by Xbox One)​

Step 2: Change this value to 55AA (aka: readable on PC)
    Remove the drive from USB and reconnect it, the drive should now be readable​

Step 3: Copy the files to/from the drive, after you're done just repeat the steps in reverse order and the drive will be readable again on your Xbox One.

If you copied an app or game from a backup to the drive, it might not start right away on the console. You may have to start it twice for it to work.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    InsaneNutter likes this.
  8. 6thsense

6thsense New Member

So my XB1 S died a few weeks ago and the thought of reinstallations and saves gave me nightmares. So being out of warranty I opened it up, changed power supply and presently have it dismantled. I used the tool here (run as Admin) with the internal drive and a previous external drive I used on the XB1. The blue screen only occurred on Windows 7, on Windows 10 everything is perfect - copied games from internal to the external - I have a few games that are saying corrupt but for now I have started moving them to the new console

9. Boatsnmoms

Boatsnmoms New Member

I know this is a bit of a reach so sorry for asking, but has anyone had any luck being able to edit save files on the Xbox one? Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

10. InsaneNutter

I think their was some save editor that signed in to your Microsoft account and edited the saves in the cloud, however it's not something I ever had any desire to use. I dont think you can edit saves directly on the hard drive at present though.

11. Boatsnmoms

Boatsnmoms New Member

Could you point me in the right direction to where I may find it?

12. InsaneNutter

It was called Vantage, however i've had a quick search and it appears it's not worked for a couple of years now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  13. Strong110

Strong110 New Member

Hello my Friends
    I got a problem and Hope you can help me
    i want to use this program and run it on Linux System such as Zorin
    but its not Loading up
    can someone do something about this matter
    My Laptop is old and its not using UEFI and can not use it therefore it can not read GPT Partition SO can not run my HDD (After turn it to PC Mode ) on windows 7 because i am reciving the Blue Screen
    So i have decided to Use Linux System and run it from USB Flash
    i did and Also I Could Load My External HDD On it perfectly without any problem
    but now i can not run this program to turn it into Xbox mode again

Please Help