Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. kurushi

kurushi New Member

Thanks for your help. I will star now to make the HDD, then I will post the results.

I don't have to make any partition because of the size, correct? I do all the tutorial, and then by default the XBOX will assume that is a 60 GB HDD, instead of an 80GB correct?

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

I have recently edited the tutorial saying that the partitioning is done automatic with the latest version. It will be a 60gb drive to the xbox 360.

akaHarpoon likes this.
  3. kurushi

kurushi New Member

How can I backup to my new hack HDD, my profiles, saves, arcade games, demos, dlc and videos of my old "original" HDD.

I don't understand what the tutorial means...

4. Rick

Rick Moderator

You can connect it with any of these.Transfer cable, using a sata connection, sata to usb cable with power adapter.If you don't have any of those you can use the original hard drive and a usb drive to transfer the content using the xbox 360.

5. akaHarpoon

akaHarpoon Member

Yes success!!! Xbox found the drive and formatted it. Thank you so much for all your help.

6. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

I reboot computer and the PC does see the HDD as a USB removable device (computer even shown it as a Western Digital 320 GB).

So any suggestions ?

7. Rick

Rick Moderator

Undo the drive if you can, then re-flash it.

8. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

not sure where the rest of what i post went.

so here is what happened.

I got a friends laptop, and i have a 320 gb BEVT WD hard drive. I put the hddsbin file, and hddhackr on a bootable DOS flash drive, I was able to boot into dos and hddhackr did work. i switched in BIOS to ATA and it found a HDD. unfortunately it is the hard drive that is inside the laptop (and it is hard to get to the hdd). so I have to have the WD320 HDD set up using a SATA to USB adapter.

IN hddhackr when the hdd comes up thats NOT the western digital one, it gives me 3 choices under neath (showing random hexidecimal).
    would one of the 3 hexidecimal choices be the hdd I want? (or would all 3 choices be the same hard drive thats inside the laptop. to make sure the serial number that comes up on the screen and the serial number that comes up on the wd320 DID not match)

(when i rebootthe computer and plug the adapter in with the WD320 hooked up, my computer DOES see it. )

so any ideas?

9. Rick

Rick Moderator

It has to be internally mounted to work. It won't work with a sata to usb adapter.Trying this with the wrong drive could format the os & files on the hdd.

10. realzzz

realzzz New Member

Thank you rick and insanenutter ! Ive done it with a WD3200BPVT. No problems whatsoever but when I turned the xbox on I formatted the drive and i had an update to do 1 day after but everything works fine because of your great help ! Thank you !

11. Snuchster

Snuchster New Member

Hello everyone and I am so sorry but I tried to read as many threads, questions and replies as I possibly could before my eyes went buggy. All I want to do is create a new drive and plop it in the Xbox 360 slim. There is nothing for me to transfer, memory wise, since my other drive crashed. I have the Western Digital drive (WD Scorpio Blue 250G WD2500BEVT). I created the bootable media which has just the three items listed on the thumb drive. Now in lies my problem; everytime I boot to the USB drive, it does come up and I am allowed to type in hddhackr at the command prompt. It will either sit there and do nothing or goes to another command prompt. I have tried several different laptops (HP 8510, 6320, 8560 and even a tower all with the same results. I checked the BIOS settings over and over on each. I re-created the bootable media. I checked to make sure the sata cable was in either port 0 or 1, even tried others. When trying it in the laptops, the original hard drive was re-moved and the new drive installed. What in the world am I doing wrong. Everyone keeps saying how easy this is but obviously no one realizes what kind of luck I have...ugh!

12. ogorir

ogorir New Member

Hi guys, I'm having some trouble getting my 360s to recognize my newly flashed WD3200bpvt. The first time I flashed it, everything went well, I stuck it in the xbox, and only the internal memory unit shows up. so I plugged it back into my windows box. the drive shows up as a hitachi, but xplorer 320g couldn't find it. I read in one of the posts that it needed to be partitioned(although, I thought the newest version of HDDHACKR listed in the OP did that automatically). ran undo, re-flashed, then set partions 0,2,3, and xplorer found the drive. plugged it back in the xbox and it didn't recognize.

I am getting a LBA error in HDDHACKR that I thought was 'normal' but I'm wondering if maybe that's causing me problems? I tried to find some answers in the post, I'm sure there is one, but so far I'm still doing something wrong.

13. Snuchster

Snuchster New Member

I got it after finally using a different thumbdrive. I determined the common problem was the thumb drive I was using. Foramatted the new one, re-installed software and the damnest thing happend........it worked. yea and thank you!:)

14. Rick

Rick Moderator

Try this.

15. ogorir

ogorir New Member

So, this time around I:

undo'd the flash
    loaded the wd lifeguard util in dos off the USB stick
    Ran the extended test, returned no errors
    wrote zeros
    restart
    loaded hddhackr
    flashed hddss320.bin renamed to Hddss.bin
    soft power off
    wait 10 seconds
    Unplug drive, walk from the office to the living room
    plug drive in xbox
    start xbox
    tab over to settings
    no dice. Just shows up the USB drive and internal storage.

i think I can feel the drive spinning, so I'm pretty sure it's plugged in, but I'm not using a caddy, just stabbing it into the sata connector. Is there a possibility there's a link on the hdd caddy that needs to make contact or something?

16. Rick

Rick Moderator

Connect the drive to the pc and see what it shows up as in the bios.

17. ogorir

ogorir New Member

I'll check this time around, but every other time I've flashed it, it shows up with the hitachi s/n. my mobo doesn't id the drive manufacturer. I'll check this time, but I'd wager it's the same.

18. Rick

Rick Moderator

If it shows as hitachi, undo the drive with version 1.25 then reboot. Then flash the drive with version 1.25.
    download - HddHackr_v1.25_Build_20101114.rar

19. Coop920

Coop920 New Member

Hi All,

I'm at a complete lost. For hours i tried to get my WD3200BPVT - manufactured 12 NOV 2012 - to be flashed with the HDDSS320.bin. I've followed all the steps to a T, even when hddhackr wouldn't flash sector 16, i used hex workshop to 'flash' sectors 16-22 and nothing at all. After 'flashing' with hexworkshop and then creating the partition with hddhackr, hddhackr still showed my drive as a WD and not a hitachi. On a side not there, when opening up HDDSS320.bin in hexworkshop, i don't see the device name (hiatchi) like i do when i open up the 250.bin file in hexworkshop, is my file corrupt!? My one computer i turned SATA mode down to ATA and the other computer is a Asus Striker Formula II mobo where i can't even find the option to change the SATA modes. Can someone please help, i've lost many hours of sleep from this?

Thanks for any advice/help.

20. Rick

Rick Moderator

Run a bios update if available from your pc's manufacturers website.