Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Rednazz

Rednazz New Member

Worked like a charm :) thanx for the awesome tutorial. now i got a 320Gb HDD. At first it showed only 17,5Gb of the 320Gb freespace. But after i formatted the disc in the xbox menu it was good go :)Thanx again :)

2. SeiferLeonheart

SeiferLeonheart New Member

Thanks a lot for the tutorial InsaneNutter, and thanks as well to Rick for all the support given in this thread.

You guys helped A LOT of people, including me of course. =D

Also, thanks everyone who shared their experiences while doing all the process,I've read quite a few pages so I could be sure I wasn't doing any mistakes.

Iit's very easy when you do it, but when you are just reading, it does seems a bit overwhelming.

For the record, I've used a WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BPVT and didn't ran into any issues whatsoever, although I didn't used Xplorer360 (Since all my stuff was in a Pen drive I've transferred through the console itself.)

Well, and that's it, again, InsaneNutter and Rick, THANKS!

InsaneNutter likes this.
  3. Mcraedus

Mcraedus New Member

Hi Guys.

Im just about to purchase a drive and do this. I think I've found the right ones, I just wanted to know if someone could confirm that these will work.

[h=1]Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BPVT-FR 250GB[/h]
    or

[h=1]Western Digital Scorpio Blue RFHWD2500BEVT 250GB[/h]
    thanks for any help that can be given.

4. Rick

Rick Moderator

Both of those should work.

5. CYBERPUNK2019

CYBERPUNK2019 New Member

Hi, I already have a 320GB flashed with the 250GB BIN file (because when I bought it a long time ago there isn't a 320GB versión). If I want to re-flash the HD now, using the latest 320GB BIN, Do I have to restore the UNDO.BIN first? Or it Works if I just re-flash the drive with the 320 BIN? Thanks.

6. Rick

Rick Moderator

Backup any gamesaves,profiles,dlc. Undo the drive then use the 320gb bin file.

7. CYBERPUNK2019

CYBERPUNK2019 New Member

Thanks Rick! I will do that.

8. Stuzz

Stuzz New Member

Awesome guide!

I have one question, I only own the xbox 360 arcade which has no hdd, will that work too?
    I think it has a holder which is just empty but I haven't taken a look yet and thought I'd ask you guys first.

Thanks!

9. Rick

Rick Moderator

Yes. You would need to purchase a case like this. http://www.xconsoles.com/products/TX-Hard-Drive-Case-For-Xbox-360.html
    You can probably find cheaper ones on ebay, or amazon.

10. akaHarpoon

akaHarpoon Member

Thanks for the guide, but I have a problem, dont know if this was supposed to happen. I purchased a WD3200BPVT and downloaded the .bin file for the 320gb drive. Hddhackr found the drive no problem, when i went to flash, I got a message that the size didnt match Microsoft. Then got the same message as you have listed. I continued it said the drive was flashed but did not say it was partitioning nor did it say to turn off wait 10 seconds and turn back on again. It told me to turn off the computer, DO NOT RESTART, disconnect drive and check it in XBOX 360. Is this the normal message for the 320gb drive?

11. Rick

Rick Moderator

Yes.

12. satconcook

satconcook New Member

I was just about to ask a question in reply to this because I don't have the undo.bin, however, as I continued to read other replies that seemed unrelated, my drive now works.

My situation was that I purchased a 250GB online. When I moved to the Slim model, I stripped the drive out of its case to find that it was a 320GB drive. When I tried to use the windows tool to make it a 320GB HD it kept saying incorrect size. I spent the better part of the day trying to find a WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2 undo.bin with no luck. I even found what appears to be the original firmware (with rom.bin and a bunch of other files) and was going to ask if it is possible to make an undo.bin from that somehow.

Instead, I found this thread.

So, I did the bootable USB, changed the SATA to IDE, found the drive labeled as a Hitachi. When I ran it through, it gave an error about incorrect LBA, as I figured since it reported a larger LBA on the one I was loading than the what the drive reported. I went ahead and went through it, hoping it would work. It all came up green and said power it off. I put the drive back in my xbox, but it said it had 237GB free. I figured it didn't work. Out of curiosity I popped it back into my computer, ran HDDHACKR again and there it is. Showing the new drive name and LBA. I ran the proccess again, just to be sure it took. Popped it into the Xbox and still showed 237GB. However, this is where reading this thread mostly through came in. I ran the format on the Xbox, entered the serial number and bingo, 297GB Free. It is a shame that so much space it wasted, but still glad to regain all that wasted space it originally had.

So ultimatley, thank you for all the help this entire thread has supplied, from beginning to end.

13. akaHarpoon

akaHarpoon Member

Still pulling my hair out over this. The hard drive isnt being recognized. I figured maybe since its an OEM harddrive that it wasnt formatted. I am using a DELL XPS 15 laptop, so I pulled the laptop harddrive out and put int he WD 320gb harddrive and using a windows Xp install disc as i had read somewhere in the thread, I partitioned and formatted the drive using NTFS (after restoring with undo.bin file). Then i rebooted using the usb drive, ran hddhackr, flashed with the hddss.bin (320gb) and got the following:

Warning: LBA size seems to be an unsupported XBOX360 value. Please contact authors. (the lba size is 625142448)

I continued and got the message that sectors 16022 were rewritten successfully and firmware was flashed successfully. Turn off computer but do not turn back on. Disconnect the HDD and test it in the xbox360.

Now i put the drive in an hd case and used a connectivity cable to connect it to my laptop. I ran xplorer320 in administrator mode and got the following error when trying to access the drive: Cannot find FATX drive.
    WIndows is recognizing it as a removable drive.

14. Rick

Rick Moderator

See if you can format with the xbox 360 without a cable.

15. akaHarpoon

akaHarpoon Member

Just tried, Xbox is saying NO Storage Device Found.

16. kurushi

kurushi New Member

I've some doubts, can anyone reply the follow questions:

- If I use WD HDD, like recommend, my XBOX FAT will be banned?
    - How long you did this modification? You never had a problem?
    - Can I use a WD 800BEVT-75ZCT1 80GB or WD800BEVT-75ZCT2 80 GB or WD3200BEKT-75PVMT0 320GB

Thanks and Best Regards

17. Rick

Rick Moderator

I suggest doing this then seeing if the drive will show or not.
    https://digiex.net/downloads/downlo...eguard-diagnostic-western-digital-drives.html

1.Nope.
    2.I have used it for about 2+ years.No problems at all.
    3.All of those drives will work. Depending on your usage will determine how much space you will need. With 80gb drives you will only be able to use 60gb of that drive for xbox use. With the 320gb drive the xbox 360 will use all of the space.

akaHarpoon likes this.
  18. kurushi

kurushi New Member

Thanks for your help.

To prepare the 80 gb, I have just to follow the instructions like was an 60GB HDD drive?

60 GB, for me and for now it's enough.

I'm still have afraid of blocking my XBOX.

19. akaHarpoon

akaHarpoon Member

Ok great yes i had downloaded that earlier but i never used the advanced feature to wipe the drive by writing zeros to it. I will tear my laptop apart once more to restore the wd file then run the advanced diagnostics.
    I will keep you posted on my results. Thanks once again for the help you are giving. Very much appreciated.

20. Rick

Rick Moderator

Yes.
    No one has been blocked or banned from xbox live since this has been posted in 2009. I don't think microsoft can detect the difference between these hacked drives and microsoft branded drives.