Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mjswooosh

mjswooosh Member

OOPS...missing WD5000BPKT undo.bin...

Back in May - thanks to the wonderful tutorial and some great forum member tips - I successfully converted (3) 500GB WD5000BPKT's into 250GB Xbox 360 drives. :) That's the good news.

Fast forward a few months: I chanced back in here to see what was new and noticed that there's a 320GB security file now. :) So, naturally, I figured I'd up-convert my drives from 250gb to 320gb. Problem is...when I went to grab my undo.bin files on my thumb drives, they are gone/deleted/missing...or perhaps they never saved successfully in the first place?

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but now I'm sort of stuck until I find a solution. My first thought was simply buy another identical HDD...but given the flooding in Thailand, these suckers are going for $150 apiece on Newegg right now. LOL No thanks (I payed $60 apiece for them back in April).

So, I have a couple questions for the gurus in here:

1) A simple solution that occurred to me: can I simply use hddhackr to up-convert the drives to 320gb? Or do I absolutely need an undo.bin to convert them back into WD5000BPKT's first...THEN change them into 320gb 360 drives?

2) If I must convert them back into PC drives before up-converting to 320gb, would I be able to use one of the downloadable undo.bins for a 320GB drive?

3) If using an alternate undo.bin isn't possible, does anyone else in here using the WD5000BPKT in their 360 who might happen to have an undo.bin they can share? :)

Truth be told, I couldn't care less if I'm ever able to turn these back into usable PC drives...but I would like to be able to up-convert them to 320gb. :) I suppose worst case scenario is I have to wait a few months for hard drive prices to come back down so I can justify buying another one and create a new/compatible undo.bin...but I feel like there has to be another way to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice!

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

1.You need a undo.bin so you can go back to 500gb(you could try going from 250gb to 320gb,im not sure what the results of that will be see #2)
    Honestly if your hard drives are not filled it's not worth the trouble.You may need to transfer everything again.

2.That is risky and you might mess up the hard drive to a unusable state.

3.It might work but it has the same risk in answer 2.

If you ever use hddhackr with new drives,hack them,then copy the undo files to different folders on a cd-r & on the flash drive move the undo file to a different folder for different hdds.

teffers likes this.
  3. mjswooosh

mjswooosh Member

Thanks for the response. Good points. I'll have to try to hunt down those undo.bins...I may have left one of the thumb drives I put them on at my parent's country home on the other side of the state. It's been a few months so it's fuzzy...hehehe If I can't track them down I guess it's just a waiting game until hard drive prices move down to sane levels again. :D

I just discovered one of my laptops used a WD5000BPVT drive. Hmmmm...any idea if an undo.bin file from that drive would work on these BPKT's? ;) Or am I looking at a good chance of bricking my drive? LOL

On a side note, is it possible to add backwards (xbox 1) compatibility by inserting partition 2 on the drives I'm currently using (without corrupting all of the data I have saved)? If I need to re-format that's not a biggie...but I'm just curious what that process would be and if it's possible to do it while keeping my saves, DLC, etc...intact....Thanks again!

4. Rick

Rick Moderator

5. husanwise

husanwise Member

Can I use the SATA to USB converter for this procedure cause I don't have a SATA port in my PC's motherboard?

6. Rick

Rick Moderator

7. kdepew

kdepew New Member

I bought a WD3200BEVT to convert for use with my Xbox360 using the method described in this thread. I configured the BIOS for IDE mode (default option for the SATA controller was RAID+AHCI) on my HP Z600 Workstation.

After I run HDDHACKR and indicate to flash the drive, I get the following message in bright blue.

Warning: LBA size seems to be an unsupported XBOX360 value. Please contact the authors!

The information displayed on the screen above this message for the "Data from selected Hard Drive" says the Current LBA Size is 625142448. The information for "Data from XBOX360 HDDSS.BIN file" says New LBA Size is 625142448.

I know I have hte HDDSS.BIN file for the 320GB drive. The sizes from the HDD and the HDDSS.BIN file for the LBA seem to match. I'm not sure why this Warning message is displaying.

Any ideas?

8. Rick

Rick Moderator

i like to format(quick) the drive in windows before doing this.Maybe that will solve your error message.

9. husanwise

husanwise Member

Q1) I got a WD2500BMVS hard-drive, is it known to work on the Xbox 360 OR not OR I'd try & give it a shot?

Q2) If I want to use my HDD back to my normal state then how would I do that? I only know that UNDO.BIN should be kept safe but then what? Do I have to select [R] through Hddhackr?

10. Rick

Rick Moderator

A1.Use version 1.3
    A2.There is a undo option,you use that and it will ask you for the undo file.
    I recommend burning the undo.bin to a cd so you don't lose it.

11. MauleR

MauleR New Member

Alright, I finally got around to doing this. So I backed up all my data on an old 120gb Microsoft hard drive with the old transfer cable.
    Undo the 250gb bin, had the drive running perfectly in windows.
    Applied the 320gb bin, xbox didn't even ask to format.
    Now I'm wondering about the free space. Before I undid my 250gb flash, I had a max free space of 227gb or so. Now my 320gb flash has a max free space of 243gb. I'm wondering if this is normal because I think I've read brand new 320gb flash should have like 280gb or so free.

Thanks again

12. Rick

Rick Moderator

format in the xbox 360 & restart the console to see if it changes

i never flashed a 320gb drive so im not sure what space you should have.

13. MauleR

MauleR New Member

That fixed it, now it's 293gb free. Now another issue I ran into, I tried restoring the partition 2 that I downloaded from hoffman's thread with the xplorer listed(320gb version), it says it's restored but when I try loading xbox 1 game(counter strike), same error as before I even tried restoring the partition(the game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again). Any ideas?

Oh and thanks again for helping me out.

Edit - Think I might have found the issue, was using the 320gb version when your suppose to use a different one lol.

Attached Files:

14. Rick

Rick Moderator

ya, you use the first xplorer for restoring partition 2 only

15. MauleR

MauleR New Member

yup got partition 2 working, running counter strike right now. Thanks again

16. husanwise

husanwise Member

After I type hddhackr OR hddhackr -f on Msdos. Nothing happens, it freezes then I restart my PC... Tried it multiple times, booting through different USB drives, no luck.

17. Rick

Rick Moderator

try a different computer

18. cmarti

cmarti New Member

Just finished upgrading two Xbox's we got last night at Walmart on the Black Friday sale, it was a breeze. Got two WD Blue 320GB laying around and the whole process took maybe 15mins.

I like to thank the creator of the utilities and the person who posted this in here.

Awesome job!

Thanks.

Carlos.

19. cmarti

cmarti New Member

320GB gives you 293GB of usable space, just did two Xbox's.

20. tsukemonoki

tsukemonoki New Member

LBA size seems to be unsupported

I have this same message. Can we ignore this warning?