Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

99% of the problems people have are with the PC / SATA chipset been used to hack the drive

2. mayhammaster

mayhammaster New Member

i keep trying to make my hard-drive a boot-able USB drive but the creator tool does not give a DOS option , I've tried manually typing the allocation described above and i get a message saying "there are no valid DOS system files at the specified location" how do i fix this?

3. Rick

Rick Moderator

Assuming that you have extracted the archive. do this.
    Click the button right under the text "create" and a window will pop up, select the ....\USB Drive Boot Files\MS-DOS folder.

4. kalirob2k6

kalirob2k6 Member

Hi I'm a newb at this and I hate having to ask this but I followed all the steps twice after the first didn't make the drive viewable and I still can't seem to get the Hex Workshop entry to save on my WDC WD50 00BPVX-00JC3TO. Instead, all it lists is "Invalid Partition Table.Error loading operating system.Missing operating system." where I think it's supposed to list the drive model in Hex Workshop.

I only have 2 laptops to try this on and the first was too old and didn't seem to see the drive when hooked up to the official Microsoft HDD transfer kit in HDDHackr so I'm trying this. But it shows on my newer Asus g75vw but I can't diable the ACHI to IDE without it causing blue screens when it finally gets to Windows. But it looks like the Hackhackr USB drive works and can see the HDD. I'm guessing that the blue screen issue is normal and just ignore it till I get the drive flashed like the DOS instructions?

I just figure I might have to go this route since the Hex Workshop trick is giving me the error. Is it safe? I'm only being paranoid because blue screens kinda freak me out lol.

5. viggen66

viggen66 Member

I don't know if you are aware, but Microsoft has just announced a Xbox One Cod Advanced Warfare bundle packed with 1 Tb Hdd, I'm wondering if those new security sectors are compatible with Xbox 360? :D

6. Rick

Rick Moderator

You have to be connected via direct sata connection for this to work.

7. kalirob2k6

kalirob2k6 Member

Oh that makes a lot more sense now any suggestions on a cord to buy that would allow this?

8. Rick

Rick Moderator

Nope. You have to disconnect the laptop hdd and connect the wd drive to that connection.

9. kalirob2k6

kalirob2k6 Member

Thanks that explains all the issues. I feel pretty dumb not figuring that out or even trying that sooner lol.
    I'll give it a shot in the morning on my older laptop and report back. Wish me luck

10. viggen66

viggen66 Member

What do you reckon about the new 1TB Xbox one HDD? Would the security sectors be able to be ported to Xbox 360?

11. InsaneNutter

No the Xbox One doesn't have any protection like that on hard drives, you could open an Xbox One up right now and install a 2TB hard drive if you wished.

12. kalirob2k6

kalirob2k6 Member

Success! Thank you for the help, my hero lol.
    I take it I still have to add the extra partition for the old Xbox games? I'm not sure with HDDHackr 1.40

13. nwiabrad

nwiabrad New Member

Toshiba drive - any hack work with anything other than WD HDD?

Hey InsaneNutter.... I've got a spare 500gb hdd that I would like to use for this to give my son an easier time playing xbox games. However it's a Toshiba. Does the newest version of the hack work on all hdd's or still just WD? I've got a ton of WD desktop HDD's but they obviously won't slide in the xbox slim nor will they fit in my laptop which is currently my only running pc. If this particular hack still won't work on anything but WD do you know of any other hack that works on a Toshiba or Hitachi 2.5 sata drive? Thank you either way. Brad

14. kalirob2k6

kalirob2k6 Member

WD drives listed only it sounds like.

15. InsaneNutter

Only western digital hard drives work, their is no other app or hack to use drives from a different manufacturer unfortunately.

16. Marius517

Marius517 New Member

Hi, i've used the tutorial to create an xbox360 hdd using a WD500AAKS. The operation was successful until i connected it to the xbox and the drive won't even spin... does the xbox not have sufficient power to run a desktop HDD?This is what i used to connect it to the xbox. The hdd and cable are in perfect condition(tested), the sectors 16-22 were successfully rewritted(double checked by trying to flash again - it said that it was already flashed), the partitions 0, 2 ,3 were created succesfully, the hdd is recognised by the pc... i don't know where the problem is
    prelungitor-cablu-alimentare-si-date-sata-50cm-7008018-mcab-2223885_big.jpg

17. InsaneNutter

No, unfortunately the Xbox doesn't supply enough power for a 3.5" drive.

If your capable of soldering you can modify the Xbox 360 to provide additional power for a 3.5" drive.

18. D3Fcon

D3Fcon New Member

Hey guys. Maybe you could help me fixing my issue. I got WD5000LPVX and on PC side everything is going very well. Problem is that console wont detect HDD. I got 2 pc's and i was using both to flash. There are no any errors. After few attempts i have restored original undo.bin and i am thinking about what i am doing wrong. Any ideas ? Maybe this HDD is incompatible?

19. Marius517

Marius517 New Member

I have 1 spare wire like this sata_power_cable_pinout.jpg (it doesn't have the grey wire)
    Is there a way to connect it to 2-3 usb cables to power it(i don't use the back usb ports.. so why not)? From what i know Y usb cables are capable of powering a 3.5" HDD.

20. InsaneNutter

I personally don't know how you could do what you want, 3.5" drives can draw 15w+ when powering up, so even 3x usb ports powering the drive might not be enough. You would need to power the drive from an external power source i personally think, or do the mod i liked to in the post above.