Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Rick

Rick Moderator

The drive should be connected by sata.
    Try the test again and run the full drive erase, it may take several hours.
    Then use hddhackr and see if the drive pops up as usable or not.

2. Matthew Ramsey

Matthew Ramsey New Member

conected sata primary port i have no legacy options or anything like that i can do everything but test it, i dont think the wd software like my MB says the samething for the wd 500 gb that is the OS drive for the computer

ok well i decided to send that drive for a rma replacment. now im wondering, is there any kind of prep i have do do to a brand new HDD befor i start hacking it, like do i need to partion it or anything

is this for jtag (mines not)? will it work with the XK3Y aka x360key usb loader? do i need to do anything to the xbox itself? with the size of my drive is there anyway to see it as two or more drive (probly not) but worth asking

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  3. Rick

Rick Moderator

This works for non jtag consoles and also jtag & xk3y.
    You don't need to do anything with the xbox.
    This guide will make a hard drive show up on the xbox as 1 hard drive.

4. Matthew Ramsey

Matthew Ramsey New Member

good
    good
    bummer xbox need to make a bigger hddss.bin :) i could have sworn they made a 500gb once

5. outofwork

outofwork Member

Well it seems that I have totally hosed up my move to a larger 320GB hard drive.

I can't for some unknown reason any longer use my old HDD that had FSD installed. When I plug that old drive in that was working perfectly before I started attempting this upgrade I don't get the initial four green light quadrant on the 360. It does nothing.

Apparently I can't FTP to the XBox 360 without FSD and of course FSD is in partition 3 which I can't get restored to partition 3. I can't ping the 360 from my PC although the 360 can see my PC when I go into the network settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    outofwork

6. Rick

Rick Moderator

Connect the old drive to the pc and try to copy your folders from partition 3 using the right xplorer 360 edition.

7. outofwork

outofwork Member

I must have misspoken earlier. I was able to copy the partition 3 data but I am unable to restore it. It's kind of strange. Device Manager in Windows 7 sees the HDD from the Xbox but Windows Explorer does not. But I was able to drag and drop from Xplorer 360 to my PC hard drive successfully. But, I can't restore those files because drag and drop from Windows won't work because the Windows Explorer can't see the XBox 360 HDD. Strange. Inject folder in Xplorer 360 "seemed" to successfully copy a folder BUT it doesn't show up in Xplorer 360 even after I refresh it. It would be a helluva lot easier IF Windows Explorer could see the Xbox HDD.

outofwork

8. Rick

Rick Moderator

That is normal for xbox 360 hard drives to not show in windows explorer.That folder should be on the drive,go to drive>close the drive and open it again with xplorer 360.

9. outofwork

outofwork Member

I didn't Close the drive but I did close the program, then I opened the program again and the folder was not there. If you think that closing it instead of just closing the program will make a difference then I will take the drive enclosure apart again and try it.

BTW, can I assume that this MUST be hooked up to a SATA port and not a USB port for Xplorer 360 to work correctly? I do have the Microsoft Data Transfer cable and it sure would be nice to try it using that.

Thanks,
    outofwork

10. Rick

Rick Moderator

Transfer cable will work.

11. AldousDreamBerry

AldousDreamBerry New Member

Having a few issues here...I'm trying to flash a wd800bevs 80gb hdd with a 60gb hddss.bin. First issue: hddhackr doesn't even seem to want to start from the dos prompt (bootable flash drive). I've switched my sata settings from AHCI to IDE (the only sata change availabile on my BIOS that I updated just to make sure I wasn't missing something). I type 'hddhackr' and it just sits there. I've tried hddhacker 1.3 and 1.25, same result. Anyway, I take my HDD and flash drive to another laptop. This time, it runs (so I know that the flash drive is setup correctly), but it tells me that the sector checksum 0778 in hddss.bin is wrong. So, what might be keeping my own laptop from running hddhackr (so I don't have to keep using someone else's to do this), and what is wrong with my hddss.bin, or is there another .bin file i should be using? Ideally, I'd like an 80gb .bin so I don't waste space, but from what I can gather, no such thing exists. Any help is greatly appreciated, my internet lurking/scouring skills are failing me on this one.

12. Mangraviti

Mangraviti New Member

I'm having trouble with this tutorial.
    I followed everything, step-by-step.
    The hddhackr worked fine. It flashed the drive and created the 3 partitions. So far so good.
    Then I opened the Xplorer 360 to copy the partition 2 which I downloaded from the link available on this tutorial). It worked fine.
    I put the drive into the enclosure, plugged into the console and it did recognize it - but it says 20GB available - not 250GB.
    What did I do wrong?

I looked into this tutorial and at the end it says "Now Download Xplorer 360 250gb Edition, this works fine with Partition 3 on 250gig drives, however trying to modify anything on partition 0 or 2 will just corrupt the drive!! Trust me save yourself some time and don’t do it."

I didn't quite understand what to do from this point of the tutorial on, as it simply finishes like this...

I reckon I have a problem with the partition table or something... I'm not very experienced in this Windows thing - I use Linux as my primary OS and I have no idea where to go from here...

Please, help me!

Looking forwards to hearing from you.

Thanks

13. Mangraviti

Mangraviti New Member

Problem solved!

I booted the console and went to the settings tab. Then I formatted the hard drive using the console's OS. After the format was completed, the drive shows up as 228GB. I guess that was the problem.

Thanks for the tutorial and sorry for polluting your thread with a foolish question.

14. Rick

Rick Moderator

It's ok.
    What this means is the program is only to be used for partition 3, if you use it on partition 0 or 2 then partition 3 will be corrupted.
    For only partition 2 you use xplorer 360 extreme.

15. 13anshee

13anshee New Member

Hi, i've got a bit of a problem with my scorpio black 250gb, i formatted it ok to MS firmware but when i tried to copy over the partition 2 the 0 partition disappeared, it now no longer registers as an xbox drive and in hddhackr it wont display either, although it shows up in windows and the bios as a hitachi drive.
    i formatted it in windows in the hope that it would restore in hdd hackr but to no avail, is there any way i can salvage this drive and turn it back into an xbox drive?
    thank you for your time :)

edit: the error it displays in hddhackr is "no ATA indentify possible"
    hope that helps

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  16. 13anshee

13anshee New Member

Problem fixed!!!
    i put the drive into the 0 port nd it recognise it
    so anyone else having the "no ata possible error"
    thats probably what you are doing wrong

17. sgwestrip

sgwestrip New Member

Hoping for some help please.

Got my new 250Gb HDD successfully flashed and I am now trying to get content from my existing Xbox360 HDD. I have managed to backup partition 2 easily enough but when I click on partition 3 I do not see any of the folders. Any clues as to why this should be?

Thanks in advance.

18. Rick

Rick Moderator

What size hard drive do you have?

19. sgwestrip

sgwestrip New Member

The original HDD is a 60GB

20. Rick

Rick Moderator

sgwestrip likes this.