Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Rick

Rick Moderator

2. bobor

bobor New Member

This thread has been great -- I'd had a compatible 250GB WD drive siting around for a while but never got around to upgrading the 360 Slim.

I was able to successfully hack the 250GB drive and formatted it in the Xbox however when tried to transfer my save games/downloads and copy partition 2 over I didn't understand the instruction to "dump" Partition 3 so I just used the "Back-up image" function to backup the 20GB and restored that to the hacked 250GB drive.

When I reattached the hacked drive, the Xbox, the unit wasn't able to see the hacked drive anymore.

Sorry if 'm being a newb, how can this be fixed and how do I move partition 3 over?

3. crashris

crashris New Member

if i use western digital blue 750gb with full size ? or impossilble now ? what is max size for use

4. Rick

Rick Moderator

You can use the 750. But only 500gb will be usable on the xbox 360. Keep your undo file so you can revert the drive back to 750gb.(it won't work on the xbox then)

5. trance

trance New Member

Hi to all,
    Does anyone successfully formated WD5000LPVX? I'm going to buy it, but as I see from previous post, there are some trouble with this disk drive.

6. Rick

Rick Moderator

Undo the drive with hddhackr then re-hack it. Copy the folders from the 20gb drive to the 250gb using xplorer 250gb edition.

7. hawke

hawke New Member

Hi,

I have a problem with WD5000LPVX hdd, the same problem as Diogo Salazar have, flashed HDDSS500.bin using HDDHACKR 1.40 everything was fine but the Xbox 360 does not want to recognize it.
    I've tried all sorts of things, undo and reflash many times, test and wipe with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, I have changed sata cable and port, i tried with creating partition in hddhackr and without creating partition, I tried it on three different Xbox but still the same thing.
    It is interesting that 2 months ago i have flashed two WD5000LPVX drives and everything worked as it should, I really do not know what is with this one, no matter what i do Xbox360 does not detect it.

Thanks

8. Diogo Salazar

Diogo Salazar Member

Hi there, I restored the original firmware, ran the full test with no errors and then wiped the disk. Tried it all again using hddhackr 1.40 and the 500GB firmware, no luck....
    I am available to assist with testing in case that is needed. Let me know.

Cheers.

9. Neoteam1

Neoteam1 Addict

I found out some pc's laptops with ddr3 ram don't work. I tried my pc and laptop and neither worked. So then I tried my dell ddr2 pc and it worked fine.

10. hawke

hawke New Member

Hi,

It seems that not all LPVX drives will work. I successfully flashed WD5000LPVX-00V0TT0 and everything is working ok, but WD5000LPVX-08V0TT5 Xbox 360 does not want to recognize no matter what.

11. Diogo Salazar

Diogo Salazar Member

Hi,

I am available to assist with diagnosing in order to make that model supported.

12. Zacb01

Zacb01 New Member

480?

I flashed the same drive and did everything right and my drive size is 460.....plz tell me that was mis-typed. Those 20 extra gigabytes that I could possibly be missing is a disappointment.

13. Rick

Rick Moderator

This is normal for all hard drives.

14. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Yup no need to worry, as Rick mentioned that's perfectly normal. My 500gb has 460gb of usable space.

15. xxxdeeceexxx

xxxdeeceexxx New Member

I too can confirm this model "NOT" working :( WD5000LPVX-08V0T

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  16. Soul Prince

Soul Prince New Member

I had a spare WD3200BEKT so I thought I'd upgrade my 250. I flashed it with Hddhackr 1.40 and the 320GB sector which was successful. I went ahead and put the 320GB in the Slim declined the title update and reformatted 304GB. At this point I thought I was good.

I hooked the 320GB to my PC and started Xplorer360 320gb edition in admin mode. But I kept getting this error. "Could not find a FATX drive to open!" I did this in AHCI and IDE mode

Mind you, I backed up my 250GB with the 250 xplorer version. Is my only option of transferring files 250GB to a 32GB Flash back to the 320GB?

17. Rick

Rick Moderator

Try using the create partitions option in hddhackr. Then try using xplorer 360 320gb version again.

18. Soul Prince

Soul Prince New Member

Thanks, this worked. I am copying files from PC to UP HDD. Now I have to youtube how to remove old HDD from the slim casing.

19. theycallmeshua

theycallmeshua New Member

anyone figure out the issue with WD5000LPVX-08V0T ? im so upset that i cant get it to work. ive done everything from using HDDHACKR to flash the .bin and creating the partition to undoing everything and using the disc diagnostic to test and write zeros to the disk. and manually flashing the bin using a hex editor. nothing works. so sad. any advice crew?

i dont receive any errors during the processes, the xbox just doesnt see the drive.

20. Rick

Rick Moderator

Is there any other bios settings you can change?