Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Johnangel1

Johnangel1 New Member

can i add 32GB

dears
    can i do this to my old WD 320GB i know i won't use more than 250 can i just use 250 ou of the 320 ??

2. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

You can from everything I've read on here I've never flashed one yet myself

3. terestron

terestron Member

So something like this with a VIA chipset?

Newegg.com - SYBA SY-VIA-150 PCI SATA / IDE Combo Controller Card, Non Raid

4. Rick

Rick Moderator

5. terestron

terestron Member

It has two SATA connectors on it....one on each side of the IDE connector....

6. terestron

terestron Member

OK...So I did exactly as you said to do it....

HDDHACKR recognized drive as the Hitachi....

see screen below....

[​IMG]
    BTW..I have two versions of HDDHACKR on my USB...I renamed V1.3 HDHACKR that is why it says HDHACKR on the screen....
    Turned laptop off...unplugged the drive...put it in it's xbox case, slipped it into my 4G Slim and turned it on and then I got E68.....

I must be missing something....omitting a crucial step....

[​IMG]

7. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

Just as a Idea make sure its fully seated in the drive slot if not all the way it can cause that error because of not fully make a connection, if that don't work you can always redo the drive by useing the undo.bin and setting it back as a WD drive then run HDDHACKER again I would also only do it with 1 version of HDDHACKER on the usb drive

8. terestron

terestron Member

Thanks...I made sure, and then double, and triple sure it was seated fine...even took a flashlight and inspected the drive bay.....

I reflashed the HDD back to original...wrote zeros to drive and then then reflashed with 250gb bin....but it never prompts to partition....always says succesful! will now work in xbox360...so then I manually partition it it and it says successful too....however the xbox360 4G will always E68....

I've actually done this several times..and the same results.....

Whoever wrote the program should know why it won't prompt you to partition...for some reason something is causing the program to skip over that part of the code.....

9. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

This can also be caused by a Hard Drive Eprom Error, or it could be the hard drive it self, have you tried to flash it then put it in the 360 with out doing the partitions it should let you format the hard drive through the 360 (it should format the partition 3 that way and not the rest) that way then after that hook it back up to the PC after its been formatted by the 360 and restore the partitions

10. terestron

terestron Member

Yes..I tried it that way too....no matter what...I get E68....

11. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

Then it sounds like it could be something with the drive it self, because the system works fine with out the drive in it

12. jimmydean123

jimmydean123 New Member

When i tried to use it. It was able to flash my HDD just fine, but it didn't ask me for my partitions that i wanted it to use. So i went back in there, and i attempted to make it do so manually. I went back into it, and told it to create it via C. After doing that it does what it shows here. But it never goes away. After sitting there staring at it for 30min i gave up on it. The flashing seemingly works since when i trid it in my 360 it showed up as an unformatted drive.

[​IMG]

But it stays like that and doesn't seem to be working. My BIOS' settings for IDE is compatible since that is the only thing i could find that was close to completely removing sata and able to hopefully work with XP and older without a hitch. And that si the only option in my laptop's bios with things related to that. The second drive is obviously the flashed hdd. It was a WD scorpio blue WD2500BEVT since it says that that drive works here i got it.

Now then, with that said, has anyone else had this issue with it not wanting to create the partitions? If it refuses to create them, then i guess i'm left with an empty drive that I won't use, since the only other way that i can imagine to partition it is via teh 360 itself which will probably lead to tons of problems down the road. It probably would be able to do that, but I'm not going to risk it. Also when i did click on it just to see what it'd do it asked for the console's SN. I instantly left it since i felt like it was MS attempting to get the stupider of people to give them the console ID with which to ban the person for using a non-standard HDD(whcih i don't know how they'd be able to tell that since the firmware apparently makes it think that it is legit.)

the mobo on the laptop is the asusg50 series one, whatever it was i cannot remember the specifics right now but i know it's that series of mobos.

Also, on the 360 S does everyone's HDD really sit that well in it? When i put mine in there, it was sort of leaning up against the top after i placed it all of the way in. The one in the picture shows it hanging perfectly in the middle of the system. I imagine that that is best, but I know that mine at least won't fit like that.

Attached Files:

13. BigRod989

BigRod989 Addict

When you format the drive through the 360 it ask for the serial number that's fine it WON'T get you banned they have never banned for that yet because your not modding you drive or your gamer tag so they don't really care about the hard drive that is just data storage.

14. AciDeX

AciDeX Member

15. Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Moderator

That is fine, you definitely won't get banned because of this, this is just prevention methods so morons don't accidently format their drive.

16. mjswooosh

mjswooosh Member

Nice! You answered my question before I could ask it! I was hoping my local Frys would have this card, but no joy. Oh well, won't take too long from Newegg.

So, I guess for now I just need to wait for this PCI card to show up...and track down a Torx T6. ;) I ordered an el-cheapo Rosewill 45 piece magnetic tool kit off of Newegg.com because it was on sale for $14...assumed that it'd come w/ a T6. Nope! T8 yes. T10 yes. Soooo...need to track down a T6 separately.

Now that I think about it, do any of you have any recommendations for really nice/complete computer tool-kits? The Rosewill one is meant to be more of a portable/travel kit and I don't expect the tools will be of the highest quality given the price, so I'll probably want to buy something a little nicer with more tools sooner or later....

Given that I'm a total noob when it comes to Xbox/Xbox 360 modding, I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in the near future, Thanks for all the help guys!

17. mjswooosh

mjswooosh Member

Just placed the order from Amazon w/ Prime, $12.99 shipped w/ 2 day shipping. In the meantime, I may give this a shot with my laptop...but am not sure I want to bother. I'm impatient and want to ge started now, but my gut tells me to wait until I have that SATA controller and go from there.... Hmmmm....

18. area1509

area1509 New Member

So the best I can do is to copy the data to an USB stick or an external USB hard drive and play it off of that?

19. Rick

Rick Moderator

i think so

20. shadixmax

shadixmax New Member

hi, i'm new to all this and i know you probably already answered this but i've been looking around the net for the better part of 6 hours. if i buy a 250 WD scorpio hdd i can flash it to work in the 360 slim, and i wont get banned right? i apologize if this question has been answered many times before. i just dont feel like paying m$ anymore then i have too. and truth be told i think 100$ is to much to pay for a small 250HDD. thanks in advance and i'm sorry for the trouble.