Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Jetpac

Jetpac New Member

I really hope this thread is still active.. I NEED HELP..

I have a WD Scorpio 320 BVPT Hard Drive...

I followed every instruction to the letter...

but everytime I go in to format the Hard drive I get this error...

No ATA Device Present.. I've tried on THREE different laptops..

My Envy 17 3D - It just hangs, no error at all just hangs with the blinking cursor.
    And older Toshiba Satelite ATA Error (Legacy settings enabled)
    And the older HP laptop same ATA error.. (doesn't allow sata configurations in bios)

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

try a desktop pc

3. edlimym

edlimym Member

hi there. could you give more details on what exactly were you doing and wanted to do? thanks.

4. Jetpac

Jetpac New Member

Thanks for the response, basically i've got HDDHACKR on a bootable USB. Everything goes smooth until I plug the hard drive (The WD Scorpio Blue) into my laptop (basically I remove my old hard drive and replace it with the Scorpio) I run HDDHACKR and it scans and comes up with "no ata devices present".

Im trying to do the 320GB hack for my Xbox 360 slim..

5. Rick

Rick Moderator

you need to find a different pc to use or update the bios if available on the computers you can use for this,also the bios update may have a option for ahci

6. Jetpac

Jetpac New Member

Yep that worked perfectly, thanks bro.. Guess my laptop couldn't do it.

7. LtGreen

LtGreen New Member

Just made this account to say thanks, with you posting this guide you helped me save so much money.

8. motorhead7319

motorhead7319 Member

Someone please help ASAP

Hi, got my WD3200BEVT 5400rpm hdd in the mail today followed tutorial religiously. I told my computer to boot from my USB thumbdrive set my computer to IDE instead of raid. All things were going as should until I went to flash, it told me to type in what to flash I typed in HDDSS.BIN and it said in red file cannot be found. I did extract it, in the folder it does say it is winrar compatible but as far as I can tell it is extracted I changed it from HDDSS320 to HDDSS.BIN exactly those words and it says it cannot find it, it is an invalid input. I am really confused as to what the problems is. I even went so far as to install the previous hddhackr and that made no difference. I am stuck right at this point otherwise everything was as smooth as can be. How could it not find the file on the USB? It is there. Any ideas?

9. Rick

Rick Moderator

place the hddss.bin file in the root of your flash drive.

10. motorhead7319

motorhead7319 Member

Well here comes my ignorance. What do you mean the root? When I open the flash drive it only shows hddhackr, readme file and HDDSS.BIN and thats it. Is there another place to put it? I Know I made the usb bootable and that stuff is not visible is it something like that? Sorry about the ignorance. I'm dangerous enough to do stuff and dangerous enough I shouldn't if you get my drift. lol. I did have everything perfect to that point tho so if you can explain what i should do that i'm not as exactly as to the "Root" thanks so much by the way for responding.

11. Rick

Rick Moderator

[​IMG]
    it would look like that the files are placed into the G: drive(example) and not in a folder
    look through the first page again also

12. motorhead7319

motorhead7319 Member

Ok

Ok thanks, that is exactly what I have done 4 times now I guess I'll try all over again the only difference I see is that underneath HDDSS.BIN yours says bin file, mine says stuffit file supported but when you click on properties it says .bin file. So who knows.

13. Rick

Rick Moderator

if you extracted the zip files you should get a file ending with .bin

14. Beanz416

Beanz416 New Member

i need some help, ive tried to use hddhackr to flash my 320gb WD3200BEVT but no matter what i try, i keep getting "no ata device" error, i've checked my bios and haven't seen anything about SATA/AHCI or changing anything to legacy instead of enhanced, the only thing i have noticed is some nvidia sata setup thing that i have to hit f10 at system bootup to enter into, and while in that sata setup window, it gives me the option to choose (mirrored, spanned and striped or something along those lines).

i need any advice or help or anything from anybody its been driving me crazy and i can't seem to get it figured out. i have hddhackr 0.91b, 1.25 and 1.30 none of them detect my WD drive even when its the only one plugged in.

ive heard something about using a hex editor and changing the last line of the hddhackr program, im never used a hex editor before so i'm not sure what to do there.

im using an acer aspire m1641 mcp73ve, the WD HD detects in windows and during bootup just wont detect at all in any of the hddhackr's.
    and i dont have access to any other desktop or laptop computers so am i S.O.L or is there another way to do this or something im missing.

PC SPECS:
    Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium E2200, 2200 MHz (11 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Acer MCP73VE
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7100-620i
    System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (09/11/08)
    Storage Controller NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller
    Storage Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

info from msinfo32.exe (components->storage->SCSI)

Name NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    Manufacturer NVIDIA Corporation
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07F8&SUBSYS_01371025&REV_A2\3&267A616A&0&70
    I/O Port 0x0000C480-0x0000C487
    I/O Port 0x0000C400-0x0000C403
    I/O Port 0x0000C080-0x0000C087
    I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000C003
    I/O Port 0x0000BC00-0x0000BC0F
    Memory Address 0xFE97C000-0xFE97DFFF
    IRQ Channel IRQ 20
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvstor64.sys (11.1.0.33, 236.03 KB (241,696 bytes), 8/4/2009 8:45 PM)

Name NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller
    Manufacturer NVIDIA Corporation
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID ACPI\NVRAID20\3&267A616A&0
    I/O Port 0x000004D2-0x000004D2
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvrd64.sys (11.1.0.33, 171.53 KB (175,648 bytes), 8/4/2009 8:45 PM)

15. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Your PC is a pre built one Beanz416 so chances are you will be locked out from changing them settings in the bios, if your having no luck try another PC if possible.

320gb drives will soon be released officially for the cheap cheap price of $129.99... humm i think ill stick to doing my own thanks! - Xbox Live's Major Nelson ยป Announcing the 320 GB Media Hard Drive

16. motorhead7319

motorhead7319 Member

At wits end argh

Ok, here goes I know I have tried everything. My computer is a few years old I wont ask anymore after this but here is what I have done if anyone can shed some light on maybe something I am missing it would be great. I have my fully functional USB boot drive. On it I have the HDDSS320 file which I changed to HDDSS.BIN and the read me text and also the latest version of HDD hackr all on the thumb drive and as pictured on the first page all good there. I go to my computers bios I set it to boot from USB, I dissconected my computers HDD, and the DVD rom both are raid. When I go to set up I have 3 choices IDE, RAID or AHCI, I select IDE. Now my computer is off, it is set to boot to USB, I type in hddhackr and it shows the only drive as my 320gb sata wdd 2.5 hard drive which is bare. I get all the way up to what I want to do, flash, delete sectors, ect and I select flash. It then ask file to flash I type in HDDSS.BIN and it keeps comming up with File not found in nice red letters but it is there and yes it is unzipped. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.:(

17. Rick

Rick Moderator

move your files to a place on your hard drive
    format your flash drive to fat or fat32
    use the program to create the bootable dos
    move your files back to the flash drive

18. philthy

philthy New Member

You need to change your BIOS settings to use ATA.

19. philthy

philthy New Member

I am having an issue with the 250GB drive. It's the same drive that was used in this tutorial. When I connect it to the Xbox it shows up as "unformatted." I could format it but it wants to know my Consoles serial #. Is this normal?

20. Rick

Rick Moderator