Hack a 250gb, 320gb or 500gb Sata harddrive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Guides' started by InsaneNutter, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Gummahs

Gummahs New Member

Hi all,
    i'm from belgium and tought my english was good enough to read the whole tutorial and try it :P
    but i guess i did something wrong.
    My problem:
    I have a Western Digital (WD5000AAJS-22TKAO)
    so i've done all the steps and at the end i'm stuck
    i have taken a backup from my xbox hdd and then i had to connect my WD hdd back to the pc
    so when i did that i could find a hdd with xplorer360
    now i see that in My Computer there's a hdd with 294 GB and it's a regular hdd but when i disconnect my WD5000 it dissapears
    so i could say thats my WD5000 :O
    but where is the other 206 GB ?
    can someone help me ?

2. Rick

Rick Moderator

You can only use 320 gb of the drive for the xbox.

3. Billy Briard

Billy Briard New Member

tried that and i got further but now it says No ATA devices present! i tried to make sure all plugs are in fully everything is but not working. D: im sorry im usally good with following instructions on computer stuff but i never have done this type of stuff before just little computer stuff lol
    859345_384461974985453_1431348070_o.jpg

4. Gummahs

Gummahs New Member

yeah i saw that but i saw on another tutorial that i could use my 500GB but it would only see 320 GB and the rest of it was a hdd on itself for computer use
    but i saw my driver of my hdd changed so can i just change it back to the original?

5. McGuyver

McGuyver Member

Hello Everyone, first time poster on this forum, but I have been following this thread for some time and desided to take the challenge and swap out my old 20GB with a new 320GB. After following the steps outlined by the OP, all appeared to be working fine until I found a slight issue with the content...

When I turn on my 360, the dashboard does not show any avatars or any updated content from when the old HDD was in it. The avatars are all greyed out, but I can still navigate and select menus. What would cause this? I suspect a misplaced file from when I injected the folders from my old hdd to the new hdd in Xplorer360 but I need the expert advice. ;)

6. Rick

Rick Moderator

You would have to use the undo option and use the undo file. It won't work with the xbox 360 though.

Run the dashboard update again.

7. Billy Briard

Billy Briard New Member

what do i do about the no ata available or whatever

8. Gummahs

Gummahs New Member

thats the problem i can't see any files it just disappeared :P

9. Gummahs

Gummahs New Member

try this :
    unplug your windows hdd then plug your hdd in (that you want to do this tutorial with) in the same slots where your windows hdd was !!!!

then just put your pc back on and let it run you will see that it loads and then you will get the thing where you have to type HDDHACKR :P

10. McGuyver

McGuyver Member

Thank you Rick, I did that when I got in tonight, and it appears to have reset the dashboard to normal.
    When I tried a save game it asked me to sign up for live when I signed in, with the information I had on the old HDD (account and whatnot). The save games also do not come up when I try to load them from in game. This was found out when I was in Skyrim. What should I try to restore the save files and my live account?

11. Rick

Rick Moderator

Did you transfer the save files over to the hdd? Look in settings > memory

12. McGuyver

McGuyver Member

I injected the content folders from my partition 3 dump into the new drive, but it didn't show when I booted up xbox. I am currently transfering my save games to an xbox formatted usb drive, it is going well... only 41 items out of 322 within an hour ^o). So once that is done, I guess I will install the new drive, and transfer my saves form the usb and it should be good?

13. Rick

Rick Moderator

That should work.

14. McGuyver

McGuyver Member

So leaving the transfer of game content to go overnight, I find that only 11 items of 322 have transfered successfully. If by using the official xbox hdd transfer cable, will everything be brought over to my new hdd? Should I format my new hdd first?

15. Rick

Rick Moderator

What type of content are you trying to transfer? Transferring by usb drive shouldn't take long.

16. bigi

bigi New Member

I've just upgraded my drive in my slim, and want to return my 2500BJKT drive back to standard to use in a laptop...only to find my undo.bin now missing! can anyone help at all please? model number is WD2500BJKT-75F4T0

17. Warlord1981

Warlord1981 New Member

Hello guyz,

Does this hack support WD2500LPVT as well?

Thank you

18. Rick

Rick Moderator

It should work.

19. McGuyver

McGuyver Member

The content was game saves, downloadable stuff etc. I actually got it to work after performing a format via Xbox, then hooking up the transfer cable to the old HDD to the Xbox usb, and it prompts you to do a transfer of all content to the new drive. It took little time and it worked flawlessly.

20. Dayfather

Dayfather New Member

Thanks for a great guide, worked fine for me with a few hiccups ;)

I used a WD3200BPVT HDD flashed with the 320GB firmware.

Flashing worked almost without a hitch with my Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe mobo with SATA mode set to IDE. The only issue was that it didn't automatically partition the disk after flashing, I had to restart and choose the partition option after flashing.

Backup of Partition 2 (with Xplorer 360 Extreme 2) and my Contents folder worked fine other then I discovered that when extracting my Contents folder even though I was transferring to my E: drive it cached everything to my C: drive until completely done with the extraction and then transferred to my E: drive. Since I only had about 8GB left on my C: drive and my Contents folder was about 11GB I had to extract in pieces otherwise Xplorer would hang once it cached 8GB to my C: drive. I did this with my drive connected to a SATA to USB dock and it worked great and was fairly quick. I did have trouble getting Xplorer to work at first (on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit), it was missing a dll file (msvcr71.dll) which appear to be part of the .NET framework, reinstalling .NET didn't work so I downloaded a msvcr71.dll file from msvcr71.dll free download - DLL-files.com which fixed the problem.

Transferring my Partition 2 worked fine (with Xplorer 360 Extreme 2) but the Contents folder (with Xplorer 360 320gb Edition) was a bit of a hassle. First I tried choosing to inject my contents folder, this took a LONG time (about 4 hours for 11GB) and did not appear to actually transfer anything to my new drive, and sure enough when I connected it to my xbox it detected the drive and it size no problem but could not find any of my profiles or saves so I formatted the disk in the xbox and connected it to my computer again. I did a bit of experimenting and discovered that the "inject folder" does not work very well, ether it didn't actually transfer anything or it put stuff in the wrong place so used the drag and drop approach which worked fine other then that I needed to lower my User Account Control setting first (required a restart to take effect). This still to a long time but once it was complete I connected it to my xbox and everything worked great. I've tried loading saves from Skyrim and Rock Band 3 and both seem to work fine.

Thanks again for the guide and I hope my experience can help anyone else having trouble!

InsaneNutter likes this.